Words may be added to a unique dictionary in any application that provides a spell-check feature.
This function enables the software to identify newly introduced words as correctly spelled terms.
Unfortunately, misspelled words may be inserted as well, which is why they are no longer considered wrong.
Follow the instructions provided by the program you are using to modify terms that have been added to your word processor’s custom dictionary.
Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
The procedures listed here can be used to delete misspelled words from Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2010 and later.
Only words from the personal vocabulary can be eliminated.
No words can be taken out of the official dictionary.
- Launch PowerPoint, Excel, or Word.
- Choose the File tab.
- Near the bottom of the left navigation window, click Options.
- In the left navigation window, click Proofing.
- Make sure the option labeled Only suggestions from the main dictionary is unchecked.
- Please select Custom Dictionaries.
- Select the dictionary’s name from the All Languages heading in the Custom Dictionaries box, then click the Edit Word List button.
- Click the Delete button after selecting the term you wish to eliminate.
- To save the changes, click Ok in each of the newly opened windows.
Older versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
The custom.dic file, which may be directly changed, served as the system dictionary file by default for earlier versions of Windows applications.
To modify this document with Microsoft Word 2007 and earlier, follow these instructions.
- Start up Microsoft Word.
- Choose Options by clicking Tools.
- Select the Spelling and Grammar tab.
- Select Dictionaries from the menu.
- If it is not already chosen, choose custom.dic and click the Edit button.
- Find the term, delete it, and then save the document.
- By clicking the Spellcheck button or Tools, followed by Spellcheck, you may access the feature.
- It might be necessary to include a spelling error to keep this window open if you are in a blank document or one that is free of errors.
- Select Options from the menu.
- Select Edit from the menu.
- Select the word you wish to delete by finding it and highlighting it, then press the Delete key.